Thursday, July 10, 2008

NT Scan tomorrow

For those of you who do not know, the NT scan is a 1st trimester screening u/s to check for the liklihood of Downs Syndrome, Trisomy and other chromosomal abnormalities. I think it's routine in high risk pregnancies.

The NT test uses ultrasound to measure the clear (translucent) space in the tissue at the back of your developing baby's neck. Babies with abnormalities tend to accumulate more fluid at the back of their neck during the first trimester, causing this clear space to be larger than average.


So if the measurment is above a certain amount of milimeteres, the risk is higher. Then, an amnio or CVS test can be performed to either confirm or disprove any abnormalities.

Needless to say this is one more thing I'm stressing over. I'm praying our Nugget has a normal scan. Please keep us in your thoughts tomorrow morning and I'll post the results in the afternoon sometime.

8 comments:

Fit & Fierce Mama said...

I'm sending healthy vibes your nuggett's way- I'm sure everything is perfect though!!

I have to call my doc- I think he told me about this test, but I thought it was a two part test including bloodwork. I didn't go a good job of asking questions or getting clarification :(

Newt said...

Try not to stress. You'll feel so glad when it's over!

You've made it to the NT scan! Second trimester here you come!

K @ ourboxofrain said...

Best wishes for a fabulous scan tomorrow!

momma mimi said...

Good luck at your NT Scan tomorrow. I hope your little nugget looks perfect on the screen.

Anonymous said...

Maria,
Will be thinking good thoughts for you today. Lil nugget will be perfect. Can't wait to hear the update.
Patty

Malloryn said...

You guys are in my thoughts -- I hope your appointment went well! You're on the edge of your second trimester... how cool is that?!

sara said...

Sending lots of good thoughts you way!

sara said...

Oppsss, I meant your way :-)