Tuesday, January 8, 2008

D&C with local, not that bad...honestly

First off, thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers over the past few weeks. It's so wonderful and comforting to have the support of everyone.

I know it's always a question of what to expect from certain procedures so I'll write about my D&C. I just had local anesthesia, and it honestly wasn't that bad. Just be warned I give a lot of details so don't read if you don't like TMI. I would have been 7 weeks yesterday with a blighted ovum, so my body was still acting PG and I still had bloating and lots of m/s all day.

First, I needed help dialating so I took two misoprostol (sp?) suppositories around 6 am yesterday morning. Light cramping started an hour later and around 9:30 I started to pass blood and clots. It was quite a bit of stuff and felt pretty icky coming out.

At 1 pm I took 600mg of Motrin and 2 perkaset pills. Within 30 minutes my head was feel fuzzy and I could have gone right to sleep.

Then I got to my RE's office around 2 pm and went back six minutes later. They first did an u/s to see what was going on and that morning I had passed the sac but I still had a lot of stuff inside my uterus. My lining was still 16 mm thick and there were a lot of clots/tissue. They took out the dildo cam and prepped me for the D&C. First they put the duck lips in and cleaned off my cervix (this was all pain-free). Then he gave me three injections into my uterus with the local. I didn't feel the first two AT ALL, but the third was a bit of a pinch. It really wasn't that bad though. After two minutes he went through my open cervix and propped it open a bit more (with what? I don't know, I couldn't see). Then he inserted a long thing tube in there that was a suction. This took care of most of the stuff, but then he put a long spoon-like thing through it and scrapped what was left. This was the worst part of the whole procedure. The scraping lasted about 8 seconds and I just squeezed DH's hand and breathed through it. He gave one last sweep with the suction, took everythikng out, and we were done. I laid there for ten minutes, got dressed, and was ready to leave. Oh, I also got my Rhogam shot afterwards. No big deal though.

We were back in our car before 3 pm so the entire thing lasted no more than 45 minutes.

Once we got home I just laid on the couch all afternoon. The medicine stayed with me through dinner so I was a bit out of it, but not in much pain. Once the local wore off of my cervix I could feel a bit if cramping for a few minutes but that didn't last and wasn't too bad.

Today I feel fine, but a little exhausted. I'll just relax all day and I don't think I'll need to take any pain pills. A milkshake will do just fine :D

Now I have had a D&E with general, just the misoprostol and now the D&C with local. Each of the three have their pros and cons, but I would say the local was probably best for me. The general involves almost all day at the hospital and with the local we were in and out in under an hour. So, just wanted to put that all out there in case some of you were deciding which to do. Of course, I'd be happy to answer any questions about all of the procedures I've had, and I won't candy-coat any of them.


Katie said...

I'm thinking of you Maria!

Diana said...

I am so sorry you had to go through this, my heart breaks for you. Take care.

Ariella said...

I am so sorry you had to go through that. I hope your recovery goes well. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Becky said...

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. I really am. I wish there was something concrete I could do for you.

Lots of love.

Trish said...

Well.. I'm glad it's over, at least. And that it didn't physically hurt too much. I'm still so, so sorry for your loss.

CresceNet said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.