Sunday, May 31, 2009

Much ado about nothing

So the other night EJ was getting very sleepy around 8pm. He's usually up till a little after 9 so I knew if he fell asleep at 8 he wasn't all that tired and would be up again around 11pm. I couldn't keep him entertained anymore, so I rocked him in his bedroom and he quickly fell asleep. I laid him in his crib and I thought that would be a great first step in getting him to sleep in his own room. We'd do naps in there so he'd be used to it and the transition to nighttime sleeping in there would be easy.

Well, I was right he woke up around 11pm and was looking for a bottle. I stayed in the rocker to feed him and kept the room dark and played his lullabies. He didn't even finish the bottle before he was back asleep. Hmmm...what if I just left him in his room again?? It would have been a longer walk to my room, obviously. So there he stayed for the rest of the night. IN HIS CRIB IN HIS OWN ROOM. And I was perfectly fine with it. I had the monitors on and of course I heard his first whimper the next time he woke up. Everything went smoothly that night. It wasn't nearly as hard on my as I was expecting. He literally was only feet away and everyone was right. I did sleep better without him in my room and I'm sure he slept better in his own quiet room.

So all of that fussing on my part worrying about it and it went off without a hitch. And it was totally on a whim so there was no anxiety from me worrying about it all day.

The only negative to all of this is that when he's in his crib he doesn't sleep more than 3 hours at a time. Gone for now is the STTN. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until he gets used to his crib and gets into a deep enough sleep to go 6-9 hours like before...at least I'm hoping :)

1 comment:

Newt said...

Oh good! Yay for happy surprises!