Monday, December 8, 2008

Labor & Delivery, Take 4

I feel like the girl who cried wolf. I had my FOURTH trip to L&D Saturday night.

Since I'm on Lovenox, the OB's are pretty adamant about doing kick counts every day. I noticed on Saturday that EJ wasn't moving around much at all, nowhere near his 10 kicks during an hour. I would poke and shake him like I normally do, and he wouldn't react with his normal tap dance. So I called the on-call OB and he told me to get right to L&D...immediately. Ed was hunting two states away with his BIL so my Dad took me to the hospital. My Mom had to stay home since my niece and nephew were spending the night.

The nurse hooked me up to start my NST and we immediately heard EJ's heartbeat. PHEW. I stayed there for about 2.5 hours and had 2 contractions while I was there. I can't believe we're getting close enough that I'm having actual contrax!! This is just crazy!

We also heard tons of kicks, which I couldn't feel. The nurse felt my belly and we believe EJ is facing backwards so that makes it less likely for me to feel him kicking. That makes total sense. My blood pressure was through the roof and I had some protein in my urine. That's a sign of pre-eclampsia and I'll discuss it with my peri at my appt this Wed. My hands are really swollen and sore so it's making me a bit anxious that I'll have Pre-E. I'm so thankful to be 34 weeks already so I know if we had to deliver EJ early, there is a great chance he'll be healthy and strong. I pray that anyway.

Other than that, my blood work came back ok and they sent me home around 1 am. I was so exhausted and trying to stay calm to keep my blood pressure low. When Ed came home on Sunday I just cried with such relief that he was there and our baby was ok. It was a scary few hours at the hospital and while I was glad my Dad was there with me, I of course wanted my husband. I don't think Ed will be allowed to travel anymore until EJ arrives!


Nine said...

I am SO glad everything was ok!! I can only imagine how scary it was for you, especially without Ed. I don't know what I'd do if T was gone! Good news that you have an appt this week to find out if you're developing pre-E, which I pray you aren't. However, you are 34 weeks!! Moving right along and will soon have your sweet, little, healthy guy with you!!

Baby and Me said...

Phew, glad it was all ok. Yep it sounds like it the end of hunting season for hubby. Well at least he needs to be in quick driving distance home.

Amy (MyColonyNJ) said...

heck - at least you will have tons of practice when EJ does arrive - you will know the ins and outs of the triage dept lol.

But, glad everything is A-OK

Emily said...

I am so glad everything is ok. Good luck with the pre-e situation.
Thanks for being my FET motivation story ;)

To answer your ? - I think my drs are hoping that a blast transfer might make the difference since i have had 3 failed 3 day transfers. I'll keep you posted though!

shiner said...

Hi there! Just started reading your blog. I am glad everything is ok. I am 22 weeks so I can't wait to be where you are. So sorry you had such a scare. Adding you to my prayer list.

Trish said...

I'm scowling at the protein & BP.
Please keep us updated!

Tracy said...

Thank goodness everything is okay!
I hope you don't develop pre-e.
You and EJ are getting so close.