Monday, September 26, 2011

My Snowbabies

I knew this day would come sooner or later. The day when we have to decide what to do with our three remaining snowbabies. We have a few options: destroy them, donate them to science, donate them to a needing couple, keep them frozen.

We're not going to just keep them frozen. There are a few reasons for that...we do not want any more children. Three is enough for us. Plus, I cannot imagine going through another pregnancy with three kids already. I don't do pregnancy very well. I'm sure some of you remember how awful my morning sickness was.

So we can either donate them to one of two options, or destroy them. If you would have asked me before I ever had a child I would have said immediately that I'd donate them to another needing couple. I'm having a hard time with that decision right now. I now know the personalities of three (out of the nearly 50 embryos) children that I gave birth to. I can't imagine one of my little ones out there in the world without me to love and protect him/her. I certainly know they could end up with a family that loves them equally as much, but what if they don't?? What if someone causes them harm? A day wouldn't go by without me thinking about them and worrying where they are and who they have become. I would love to hear your opinions on this as we need to make our decision soon and I'm still torn as to what the best decision is for us.


Katie said...

We've talked a lot about this as well. Once we are almost done building our family, if there are any left over (we currently have 11 frozen), I want to do natural cycle FET. If I get pregnant-great, if not, at least I knew I gave them a chance in my body.

I never really considered donation because I wouldn't want our kids to grow up, fall in love, and then find out that he/she is their brother/sister. I'm sure the chances of that are low, but if it was going to happen, it would probably happen to us.

I don't want to donate them to science, because I wouldn't donate any of my living children to science.

I am sure that not all will survive the thaw either. We are going to do single transfers.

Maria (MKC101103) said...

Does your insurance cover FET's? I really like that idea, but we'd be paying OOP so there is no way we'd spend almost $5,000 for each transfer if we didn't want to actually get pregnant.

Debbie said...

Wow, that's tough. I don't have much to contribute since I haven't had to deal with this. But, I can definitely see where you're coming from in thinking originally that it would of course be great to give it to someone else. But now second guess that decision for all of the reasons that you listed. Good luck with your decision, I'm sure whatever you decide will be work out the best for your family.