Friday, November 19, 2010

BFN for SIL

I posted about two weeks ago that my SIL was doing her first IVF. They have a daughter already, but "only" needed the help of Clomid then. Anyway...they retrieved 41 eggs from her, 24 of which fertilized (without ICSI). They transferred two and froze three. And she had her beta today which was a BFN. I feel so sad for her and them. They were OOP for everything but the meds, so the money issue adds another level of suckiness to this.

I can't help but dwell on her percentages. If my math is right, she had a fert rate of only like 60%. And of those 24, only 5 made it to the blast stage. Another sucky percentage of about 20%. I'm not an expert on that phase of IVF, but am I right to think it's an egg quality issue? She's 36 and her RE told her that her age is against her, but I would have thought her chances would have been better.

In a few days when the BFN isn't so raw, I'm sure she'll have questions for me on what could have gone wrong. Not sure if she'll have a WTF appt with her RE or when that would be. But I'd like to have some guidance for her and to help with an answer or two in the meantime.

She'll be traveling to see her family for two weeks around Christmas, so I'm guessing they won't even think about doing an FET until the new year. I'm just glad they have snowbabies, because in the begging she said they weren't going to freeze any. It's just so hard to believe that out of 41 eggs retrieved, they only got 5 viable blasts. God I wish IVF was more of a guarantee.

In my news...I'm trucking along. Still quite nauseous, but I actually have good days sprinkled in between my yucky days. I'm enjoying eating everything I can, and two of it all saying "one for each baby!". LOL.

My NT scan is on Wed so I will be sure to post results afterward. Say a little prayer that everything is ok with my two little ones ♥.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry about SIL, that sucks, all the time but especially before the holidays.

I cannot wait to hear about your next appt!

Lucy said...

sorry about your sil i know the bfp pain (mulitpul times)

as for her eggs, its not nessesarliy them. if she had god fert but bad dropoff after day 3 then it could be his swimmers DNA. the DNA of the sperm comes into play at day 4ish. If it's dodgy then it will fail to grow.

Its not always that but its def a possibility. So hope is not all lost for her eggies :) Hope she gets her BFP next time.